Get 25% off the Oxford Handbook for Nursing Series - Go to the OUP website now!
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Agency work with childcare issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Agency work with childcare issue
    Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 11:02
Hi all,

I have just joined this site as I am feeling like I am at a bit of a crossroads and am after some advice, from anyone with this sort of experience.

I am currently still on maternity leave with my second baby, due to return to work in March when baby will be almost a year old. I am a mental health nurse working on an eating disorders ward and will be returning to work part time. However, even though it will only be part time I am utterly desperate to get away from unsocial hours-i.e. weekends, nights, and xmas-I just feel my kids have to come first now.

I have, since my first son was born, had a lot of experience working with mums, as I have done a couple of breastfeeding support qualifications, and I absolutely love it, and really my ultimate goal is to become a health visitor. My plan has always been to apply for this for Sept 2012, but lately just thinking about applying and all the stress fills me with horror, the only thing keeping me going is that it is what I really want to do, and I will be rid of shift work forever.

But I am now worrying that it is too much for me to take on with two such young children -not least the stress of applying which will coincide with my return to work. I MAY still apply but I feel I need a back up even if it is just for in case I don't get on-my application is not likely to be amazing given how little energy I will be likely to have.

My main question really is this-has anyone out there managed to make a success of agency work with children to organise? I have heard some positive things out there about agency work and there being plenty of work about, but I worry that I would be forking out for childcare and perhaps not getting work?? It would be a big gamble to take especially in such difficult financial times, but I feel desperate enough. I could dictate the shifts i want and just work in the week, have no stress and just concentrate the rest of my energy on my young family. A part of me feels like studying and furthering my career needs to come later, at a time when both my children will be at school and I will just have more energy! My husband is a teacher so we would have a reasonable income from him.

Thanks in advance,

Ruth xx
quisk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quisk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 11:11
Oh and anyone with any tips for success to do the HV training I would love to hear from you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic