Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I return to practice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helskibeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I return to practice?
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 22:09
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and was just hoping for a bit of advice really. I qualified as a nurse in 2012 after completing an Advanced Diploma in Adult Nursing. Unfortunately there wasn't any jobs on the ward where I had done my management placement and after being a bit disheartened I ended up taking a completely different job working as a health and fitness coach.

It has always been a regret of mine that I didn't work as a nurse after I qualified and after a few life upheavals I am wanting to go back to my first career choice. BUT I am wondering whether I can do a return to Practice course if I didn't actually work as a nurse when I qualified? I was given my pin and have emailed the NMC but they haven't got back to me yet.

I just don't want to get my hopes up of it isn't going to be possible. Does anyone know anything about this type of situation?

Many thanks in advance!

Helen
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:17
Hi Helen,

Welcome to the JFN Nursing Forums.

You have a qualification, you simply have no experience. I'm pretty sure that a back to nursing course will allow you to reenter the register and put you in a position to be able to work as a staff nurse. I don't know how long the NMC will take to decide the best course of action for you. There wouldn't seem to be any harm in giving them a ring on Monday to confirm they have received your email and to ask about the time frame for how long things will take to happen. You may even be able to talk to someone about it over the phone.

Good luck!

Nigel
Elliescissors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliescissors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 22:53
Hi Helen, not sure how you've got on with this, but did you try looking at universities to see which are running the course currently? That's how I found one to apply to. All I needed from the NMC was my statement of entry to the register including the date when my registration had lapsed, which they were happy to send me once I provided my PIN. Once I had that I could apply for a Return to Practice course, which starts in January 2018. I'm in the Highlands of Scotland, and there are only 4 universities up here currently running the programme, but there should more in England if that's where you are. For me it requires a week on campus, then my practice hours nearer home, but it varies from one uni to another. Go for it, worth a try, it's up to the uni whether you get accepted on a course, not the NMC.
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 16:32
Hi Helen,

I don't know how you got on but it looks like you may be able to get your return to nursing course paid for:

What Can I Expect?

If you’re looking to complete a return to practice course, you can now expect: 

• Course fees to be paid 
  • Additional financial support towards travel, childcare and book costs etc. 
  • Clear information on how to find a course 
  • Support in finding a clinical placement 
  • Theory and clinical-based training 
  • Access to a mentor 
  • Simulation techniques to practice skills 
  • Preceptorship support
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic