Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Student Nursing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deciding on branch of nursing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deciding on branch of nursing
    Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 18:17
Hello. I am new to this site.  When did you decided on the branch of nursing you wanted to go in for, was it before you applied or at the end of year 1 CFP?  My UNI you have to decided before you apply so I chose Learning disability nursing as this is where I have worked as a support worker.  However since being on placements my expectations of LD nursing is very different . I thought there was more interactions with service users but the role of the LD nurse is more about administrative work, meetings, and answering phone calls and little interactions with clients.

How do I go about changing branch, I think  I am more suited to general nursing, I love the business of the wards and the patient interactions.  My UNI don't like people changing branch & a few have dropped out so I guess they won't let me change as there will be one less student in that branch.  any advice?
melscott55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melscott55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 19:11
i decided before i applied and knew that it was adult branch that i wanted. you can change after the first 18 months of the cfp if you feel you made the wrong choice. pick the one that you really want and tell the uni the reasons why. i'm sure they'll understand.

Edited by JFN Admin - 16 Feb 2009 at 19:06
Snowbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 19:45
Thanks for your reply.  CFP is 12 months not 18 months at my uni.  My only concern is, there have been a few students dropping out of the course and I know of one other person trying to switch branch, so I guess, if that is the case they won't allow it for the simple reason that they won't have any students in LD branch.
melscott55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melscott55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 21:58
no they have a certain amount of students on each branch and one person wont make much difference plus someone may want to switch from adult to ld so it's just a swap. you can only ask and see.
DudeNurse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DudeNurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 03:07
Is it more expensive to work in one branch of nursing or the other. As far as what a nurse is expected to supply like scrubs or medical software. For example I am thinking of going into home nursing so I can work with a few patients and know what to expect when I get to work each day.

Edited by DudeNurse - 01 Oct 2011 at 18:02
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic