Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Newly Qualified Nurses
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Employment prospects for newly qualified nurses
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Employment prospects for newly qualified nurses

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Employment prospects for newly qualified nurses
    Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 11:04
In view of the lack of vacancies for newly qualified nurses, has anyone had to take a staff nurse's job that they didn't really want to take? Or worse still, has anyone not been able to get a job as a nurse at all? 
Stoatwrangler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatwrangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 02:00
I qualified at the end of September.  Still hunting...
Only had a handful of interviews so far.  Not enough to enable me to "brush up" my interview technique, evidently.  :)

However I have been working bank shifts in my local trust and several of the sisters on the wards where I've worked have urged me to put my name forward for forthcoming vacancies, so that's a promising sign...

But yes, I think the vast majority of newly qualified nurses don't look a gift horse in the mouth and aren't at all choosy about the first post they take.  After all, you can always move on after six or twelve months and find a more desirable job which requires post-qualification clinical experience.

Any job is better than no job!

- SW 
melscott55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melscott55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:38
lack of jobs means just that. there are none and you don't get to take something you dont want.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic