Get 25% off the Oxford Handbook for Nursing Series - Go to the OUP website now!
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Nursing Activists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enquiry Based Learning? Is it for you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GraduAgent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enquiry Based Learning? Is it for you?
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 22:33

The buzzword at my university in theory is EBL, Enquiry Based Learning is a process where the learning is directed by the student, firstly in a classroom setting a clinical scenario is set involving Problem Based Learning. Secondly, the student will work individually or as a group and have a medical condition or healthcare subject to work with. The subject is chosen from a list generated via the clinical scenario, the student is then set to do some field work during the week, then thirdly reporting back to University with a Powerpoint presentation {or other} detailing the your chosen subject. 

On paper this all sound interesting, and I think it is until 
feedback day.
Around 90% of my class do not think the feed back is beneficial for learning, as the student is thinking on want they are going to present whilst 'switching off' during the students presentations.

The above may well be familiar to many of you, but I want to know what you think about this form of education. Are the lectures putting in enough graft and support? Do you really learn beyond the subject you've explored? Do you use other students work as a revision aid?

I would really appreciate your comments. I am writing an EBL blog for a nursing paper,
thus will construct it with comments made.

Thank you, GraduAgent.

Edited by JFN Admin - 13 Jul 2013 at 22:16
kevinbrown10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinbrown10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 14:18

No Graduagent, Sorry but I don't think so, in fact I am in favor of it as this will be very  useful for you because it is preparing all you guys for real life situations and how to handle them individually. Suppose when you will be in professional nursing field then what you will do as you will have to do individually or in groups with other people. it does not matter too much that you are working individually or in any group as a nurse as in the last your final practical knowledge will be utilized.  

Edited by kevinbrown10 - 23 Jun 2011 at 14:18
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic