Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leaving nursiing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisamforde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: leaving nursiing
    Posted: 22 Dec 2007 at 18:29
i am seriously considering giving up a 8 yr nursing career, you may ask why?
its beacuse of politics from above at a higher level, always cutting resources and still wanting you to give 100%.
new yr new career?
sam81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sam81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2007 at 09:08
Well good luck if you do decide to leave, I always think its such a shame when good nurses are fed up and want to leave. But I completley understand it - after over 7 years working full time on an acute area I have just recently took on a new post (more education based) and although I am enjoying it loads new challenges etc  i do feel sad that it means one more of us has left, IYKWIM.
Chibbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chibbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 20:53
Lisa, I can totally understand why you  want to leave.  I feel the same.  I am sick of giving 100% and more not to have any thanks for value or satisfaction for it!  I cannot believe my multitasking skills at times! IVs, phone, meds, notes all at once! but as I also say yeah we have days were we cry and scream and would love to walk away but we dont cause we go back the day after and do it all again! I wish I had the bottle to walk away but I wish you every luck if you leave the career. 
vikris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vikris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 21:19
HI
I 'm sad that you want to leave nursing. When you chosed nursing carrer did you choose because of security to have a job for life or because you passionate for caring look after the sick people. Dont you find revording when patient leaves ward and says thank you nurse for your care. If your answer yes then,  you need to be more assertive and prioritise your self. If you do not feel revording at the end of the shift and in morning you feel I don't want go and see the sick people then is time to move on and find somthing more enjoyble and revording for you. Is no point to stay if you have to drag your self to work.

Bettyboophume View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bettyboophume Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 21:44
Although i am not from England or the British Isles, I can certainly sympathize. i have been a nurse in the states for over 25 years in a variety of settings. i recently decided after 5 years in a poisition in rehab/disability nursing to return to acute care. i found it extremely difficult and found that the support for an experienced but not recent acute care nurse was very lacking.I ultimately left the position for lack of support.  I am in the position where I need to make a change in my life and am contemplating doing something other than nursing at this point.
louisechidlow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louisechidlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 16:59
well i wish you luck, i'm on a 5 year plan to get my BA and then go, after 18 years, applying for my own job, having my band 6 taken off me but no changes in what i'm expected to do and never ever having enough support from our managers i have had enough.
DALE WILDON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DALE WILDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2008 at 20:26
 Hi,

I am really sorry you feel you have to leave but I envy you too in that you are brave enough and clearly able financially to go and find something else to do. I have no job satisfaction from my current employment and haven`t had for many years now but sadly I have five children and a large mortgage so need to keep working and there are no other jobs in nursing that I can fit into my rather chaotic life and pay me as well as I am paid in my current job. Money it seems would be the route of it all, if only we had the support dr`s particulalry Gp`s get with childcare.......the government seems to think they need to make incentives for Gps..particulalry female Gps to return to work and yet they seem to expect that we will work for the love of it...forget the cost of child care and the anti social hours we have to work to fit it all in. You go girl and find something other than this drudgery!
debz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2008 at 11:38
wish i was brave enough to do this too but keep thinking the grass is not always greener
Earthbabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earthbabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 07:06
My OH and I are both nurses and both disillusioned, me after 10 years in nursing, him 8 as a nurse but much longer in the NHS in total. We have started a complementary therapy business which we are building up to enable us to start reducing NHS hours but things like that take time. I fully understand those who want out but I can see why people stay. If I could do the job I trained to do I'd have no probs but politics etc prevent that and a manager who quite clearly thinks someone who works part time because of childcare/school is a nuisance doesn't help.

It is important to look after yourself at the end of the day in order to be able to give to those around you whether that be family, colleagues or patients after no-one else in the organisation is going to do it for you.

Be true to yourself and your hopes and dreams. If you need time out take it. You may return at a later date, you may not. It is a hard decision to make as becoming a nurse is not a career lightly undertaken and it becomes part of who you are.

Best wishes to all of you whatever you choose.
melscott55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melscott55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:34
what have you decided to do? there are more people in your shoes. sad isn't it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic