Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I return to practice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helskibeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I return to practice?
    Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 22:09
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and was just hoping for a bit of advice really. I qualified as a nurse in 2012 after completing an Advanced Diploma in Adult Nursing. Unfortunately there wasn't any jobs on the ward where I had done my management placement and after being a bit disheartened I ended up taking a completely different job working as a health and fitness coach.

It has always been a regret of mine that I didn't work as a nurse after I qualified and after a few life upheavals I am wanting to go back to my first career choice. BUT I am wondering whether I can do a return to Practice course if I didn't actually work as a nurse when I qualified? I was given my pin and have emailed the NMC but they haven't got back to me yet.

I just don't want to get my hopes up of it isn't going to be possible. Does anyone know anything about this type of situation?

Many thanks in advance!

Helen
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:17
Hi Helen,

Welcome to the JFN Nursing Forums.

You have a qualification, you simply have no experience. I'm pretty sure that a back to nursing course will allow you to reenter the register and put you in a position to be able to work as a staff nurse. I don't know how long the NMC will take to decide the best course of action for you. There wouldn't seem to be any harm in giving them a ring on Monday to confirm they have received your email and to ask about the time frame for how long things will take to happen. You may even be able to talk to someone about it over the phone.

Good luck!

Nigel
Elliescissors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliescissors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 22:53
Hi Helen, not sure how you've got on with this, but did you try looking at universities to see which are running the course currently? That's how I found one to apply to. All I needed from the NMC was my statement of entry to the register including the date when my registration had lapsed, which they were happy to send me once I provided my PIN. Once I had that I could apply for a Return to Practice course, which starts in January 2018. I'm in the Highlands of Scotland, and there are only 4 universities up here currently running the programme, but there should more in England if that's where you are. For me it requires a week on campus, then my practice hours nearer home, but it varies from one uni to another. Go for it, worth a try, it's up to the uni whether you get accepted on a course, not the NMC.
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 16:32
Hi Helen,

I don't know how you got on but it looks like you may be able to get your return to nursing course paid for:

What Can I Expect?

If you’re looking to complete a return to practice course, you can now expect: 

• Course fees to be paid 
  • Additional financial support towards travel, childcare and book costs etc. 
  • Clear information on how to find a course 
  • Support in finding a clinical placement 
  • Theory and clinical-based training 
  • Access to a mentor 
  • Simulation techniques to practice skills 
  • Preceptorship support
klarawajs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klarawajs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 00:37
Hi Helen,
my story is much more complicated. I was qualified in 2012 as a Mental Health nurse in London and I was never able to practice due to lack of experience. After a year of struggling, I went abroad with my family and got the job there as an TA and Art teacher. I've returned to UK in 2016 and since that time I try to return to practice. Unfortunately with no success. I have applied to few different universities, most helpful was City University, but the course was postponed to January next year. I live in West London so the best one will be University of West London and Bucks. West London suffered insufficient number of applicants. And Bucks is not supportive at all. I am struggling cause I would like to start working in the nursing field but seriously I don't know what else I can do to comeback to nursing. Any ideas anyone? 
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 18:31
Hi Klarawais,

Did you follow this link and try contacting them for assistance

The link for information relating specifically to West London

If they have not got the course you need it seems that the only other choice would be to consider attending a different university.

Kind regards,

Nigel
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2017 at 01:03
Hi Klarawais,

We got this response from our Facebook page

Suggesting Kingston University in Surrey...
Tracey Queely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracey Queely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 19:55
Hi, I am currently on a Return to Nurse practice programme at the University of Derby.  I was out of practice for 12 years, though I did work as a Staff Nurse after qualifying for at least 13 years.  Just because you have not worked as a Staff nurse after qualifying I do not see that as being a problem because so much has changed that it is guaranteed that you will be learning so many new things, unlike me who as I practiced as a Staff Nurse I am kind of set in my ways. I found out about the programme by doing a Google search and lots of information came up about the Health Education England who are keen to encourage Return to Nurse practitioners, once you start filling the forms you will be offered a choice of where you want to do your course (university).  I am new to this forum but you can message me privately if you want any information particularly as I am someone who is going through the process, I complete my programme in March so am very nearly finished.  I hope that helps, if you don't do it now you will regret it like I did when I had an opportunity to do it in 2012, but at that time I had to pay, now, you do not have to.
Rtpstudent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rtpstudent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 19:46
I'm on a rtp course, my mentor told me that because I had only worked as a nurse for 3 and half years after qualifying that I didn't give myself time to have nursing knowledge ingrained in me and that 7 years is a long time to be out. I was in a bad relationship which is why I left and only just gained confidence to apply for course at back end of last year. So this has really knocked my confidence.
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 18:52
Originally posted by Rtpstudent Rtpstudent wrote:

... because I had only worked as a nurse for 3 and half years after qualifying that I didn't give myself time to have nursing knowledge ingrained in me and that 7 years is a long time to be out.

Simply put... Nonsense!

It's not the mentor's role to be negative about your position. They are supposed to be nurturing and guiding. You have chosen to come back to Nursing - Good for you, and good for the NHS! You've been away for a while so it may take longer for your confidence to fully return. If this was considered a major problem, you wouldn't have even been offered a place. Give yourself a break. You can see just from this thread that you are not unique in having a long break. The thread actually started with a Nurse who had no qualified experience at all.

Good luck! ClapWink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic