Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to start?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to start?
    Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 13:12
Hi,

I want to begin training as a nurse, and have absolutely NO experience....Is it best to start basic with an NVQ Level 1 and work up or to just get straight in there with volunteering and work up enough experience to work as a healthcare assistant? 
I feel that I can't go straight into healthcare assistant as I have no experience, and obviously people have trained to do this job, I'd feel a cheek and a fraud really. What is anyone's experience of this?
Please feel free to direct me to any previous posts on this that I may have missed.
I'm 33 and have worked in customer service most of my career.

Thanks
DudeNurse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DudeNurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 19:55
I am also seeking similiar advice on beginning a career in male nursing. I have already signed up to begin a school in the fall. My worries are about my budget and if I need to plan for extra expenses such as medical dictionaries, scrubs, or medical instruments.
garsideamy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:15
Once you know you enjoy the work of nursing, it’s time to plan your advanced education. Where LPN training is focused on skills – injections, administering medication, monitoring patients – an RN’s role is more analytical, Dahn says. RNs create care plans for patients and teach patients how to manage their illnesses or injuries. They may specialize in fields like pediatrics, gynecology or oncology.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic