Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

becoming a nurse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: becoming a nurse
    Posted: 21 Feb 2008 at 17:28

hello, i am a cardiographer at wonford hospital in exeter. i really want to become a staff nurse but need to ask a couple of questions? is the only way u can become a nurse by degree level. i have already been to uni and only really want to go back part time. i also have a mortgage at my house in exeter so don't really wanna leave the area. i guess i just need to know if degree level is only route to becoming a nurse.

thanks, tim.

L Moody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L Moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2008 at 16:42
Hi There,

Nursing programmes are full or part time.  You can do a diploma or degree, but the minimum time you can do it in will be 2 - 2 1/2 years full time as some Universities will allow you to use APEL.  This means that they will take into account your previous relevant studies and work experience. This will then allow you to do the full time programme in 2 - 2 1/2 years.  The part time programme can take up to 6 years and most universities will allow you to do the nursing programme part time.  Also if you are working for the NHS you could look into a secondment to do your nursing.  This means the trust will pay (usually band 1 though) you while do your nursing.

I hope this helps
Laurina
melscott55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melscott55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:31
no, there are other options open to you. have a look on pronurse, they have loads of articles relating to this.
garsideamy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 10:20

Learn Everything You Can About The Nursing Profession
Step 2: Find Your Path to The RN Title
Step 3: Choose the Nursing School That Fits You
Step 4: Get into the School of Your Choice
Step 5: Survive Nursing School
Step 6: Decide on a Nursing Specialty
Step 7: Pass the NCLEX - US
Step 8: Consider Possibilities for Your First Job
Step 9: Get Hired
Step 10: Get Prepared For Your First Year As A Nurse

Edited by JFN Admin - 09 Oct 2013 at 00:28
garsideamy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 11:11
I'm wondering the Royal College of Nursing website may help you? 

And the Tax credits website for tax credits advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic