Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Band 6 post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Band 6 post
    Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 08:08
Hi all,

This is my first post, would love some advice please.

I will be interviewing for a band 6 on my own ward next week. They have indicated they would like a short presentation on providing a high level of care on a busy ward, and how would you implement innovations on the ward.

So, if I speak about prioritising, supporting, privacy & dignity, teamwork, evidence based practice, auditing qualitative or quantitive with observation, leaflets, meetings, one on one etc. Do you think that's what they are looking for?

I can post the actual wording later if that would help?

Thanks in advance.
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 12:26

Hi Mithical,

That looks pretty good and it would be great to actually see a copy of your presentation. There are two areas that you haven't mentioned

Education
Obviously on the ward in situ, mentoring and formal sessions but also be aware of the alternative available resources like free online or locally based relevant courses. These of course include private resources or provided by your Trust

Off Duty Rotas
Will you be expected to be involved in preparing off duty. Even if you are not it might be worth a mention if it's something that you have ideas for improving or ways to handle staffing level issues.

When is the interview going to be?

Good luck,

Smile

Nigel
mithical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 09:48
So they are expecting a stand up, formal presentation? The interview is Friday in an office, so there is no option for white/blackboards or powerpoint. If they are talking about bringing in and supporting innovations in the future, handouts are a bit difficult. I can type up the presentation and give them a copy, but feel I'm limited to practically reading out a piece of paper.

Off duty is the responsibility of the ward manager only. Sickness, students and training is already covered by current Jr sisters.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by mithical - 31 Aug 2013 at 09:49
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2013 at 12:13
Hi Mithical,

You have the advantage of already working on the ward and knowing the staff who will interview you. There is nothing wrong with asking for guidance about the formality of the presentation or whether any specific things will be expected to be covered. It is not a sign of weakness or inability - but asking appropriate questions to ensure you get what they are looking for. Clearly you won't expect a play by play breakdown of the interview framework so you will still have plenty of room to impress with your knowledge and skill.

In terms of the limitations of the interview - not everyone is great at unscripted presentations. However you could try having key phrases on a cue card to ensure to ensure you cover everything and then talk freely which would demonstrate greater confidence in your knowledge.

The key to this is to break it up into sections and practice talking about each small section until you can do it easily then learn the next bit. You have 6 days to practice but my guess is that in between you have to work, live and still write what you want to present.

Believe in yourself!

Good luck,

Nigel

Edited by JFN Admin - 31 Aug 2013 at 12:19
mithical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mithical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 14:45

What do you think? I can't memorize it, and I need more prompting than words on a card, so will have to use a highlighter on a full copy in front of me.

Providing optimum patient care, as a daily challenge for nurses working in an elderly medical environment.

I feel the elderly are a very complex group to care for. They have comorbidities as well as psychological and social issues. There is so much to consider. The speciality is also always under a lot of scrutiny, due to their potential vulnerabilities, especially for example from the CQC. On the ward everyone needs to be aware of Trust and national standards, as well as all the policies and procedures we should be following. We are accountable to the NMC, the Trust and the law in everything we do in our working environment, so we must always strive for best practice. 

As a senior member of the ward I am able to manage shifts,  I feel in a safe and organised way. I manage the staff, to ensure we are all working to our potential, and working well for our patients. One of the continuous challenges is making sure the paperwork is completed accurately, and to a high standard. I feel I do this myself, and encourage my colleagues to do the same. The assessment paperwork is essential to assist our patieous, along with actually observing them and getting to know their capabilities. Waterlow, MUST, falls assessments and body mapping can be more relevant to the older person. The care on an elderly ward, may consist of physically assisting the patients in a lot of instances. The basics of making sure everyone is clean, has eaten and drunk, and are comfortable. So it's important I am up to date with my training for manual handling and other mandatory training. Time management and prioritising, as well as a bit of juggling having to multi-task can help to make a smooth running shift. There is a lot of liaising with the multidisciplinary team, to provide optimum care and arrange a safe discharge, where you can come up against all sorts of obstacles. Sorting out these issues can be a challenge.

Caring for patients with Dementia is common on the ward and can be stressful. The innovative Butterfly Scheme with the REACH acronym is something to assist us. So trying to use this with not just dementia patients is good practice. We need patience, respect and empathy. It doesn't hurt to remember we are caring for someone's parent or grandparent, and should be promoting independence and individuality. We are a support for the family as well, and they should bsmelly well informed.

I feel I work well in a team, and that good communication is essential to provide optimal nursing care. Supporting your colleagues, and making sure everyone is working together.

Supporting, implementing and evidencing change on the ward, and sustaining best practice amongst staff.

Bringing about change is a huge subject, so I have tried to focus on what strategies I feel relate to me. I have seen a lot of changes over the years since I qualified. I think if you are truly aiming to achieve best practice, you can be adverse to the principle of change. I am open to and willing to try new ideas, whether it be paperwork or something like dressings. But to support it fully, I think you need to be able to analyse whether it is working and offer constructive feedback.

A recent example is the 24 hour booklets, that have been introduced. We have been monitored closely using these. I have tried to complete them correctly, and to ensure my colleagues are doing the same. I have pointed out where I feel improvements can be achieved, or where the information has been easily misinterpreted or contradictory. Some people find change difficult, so it is important to support each other through it. Offering teaching whether one to one, or a small teaching session may be appropriate. A completed best practice booklet, or step by step guide can help. Everyone needs to know what is trying to be accomplished,heart thebenefits are, and that it is a shared goal. 

Auditing is a way of evidencing change, and sustaining best practice. I already complete the weekly audits (which there is a hand out of), and I am adaptable to monitoring changes on the ward. Whether this is using a qualitative approach with perhaps questionnaires or interviewing staff or patients. A quantitative approach is what we already use in relation to how many commodes and bedpans are clean, how many MRSA septicaemias there have been. This allows percentages to be gauged, I think there is satisfaction by seeing an improvement. Auditing is part of sustaining change as you work with the evidence provided. I can gather data when appropriate, and monitor paperwork. Then feedback to managers and colleagues. Changing how things are done, can be a breaking of habits. So reiteration of information, senior staff such as myself providing support and leading by example, can help to sustain the new thinking.

Mark Twain said "A round man cannot be expected to fit into a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape."

JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 17:49
Hi Mithical,

Firstly I would suggest downloading an Interview Guide from the RCN.

The responses I have provided are meant to help you be able to better express your knowledge and experience.

Providing optimum patient care, as a daily challenge for nurses working in an elderly medical environment.

The answer you have written appears to lack enough depth and personalisation. You mention what everyone on the ward needs to know but more importantly you are not expressing what you know.

There seems to be a focus on paperwork rather than showing your understanding of how this actually relates to personal care. i.e. one hospital uses a booklet "Getting to know me". It is given to patients to complete or their relatives if the patient is unable to complete it. It has questions like "What would you like us to call you?" This is a quick way of ensuring that the patients feel respected and valued and is available for everyone who needs it.

You have brushed over the relationship between the multidisciplinary team and the overall care of the older patient. You could also give more focus on the role of the family and how they can be a part of the caring process both in the ward environment and assessment and organisation for discharge.

I would rethink the answer and start by focussing on patient-centric care. The answer you have given leans more towards organisation-centric care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic