Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

From RGN to RMN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claire_harrowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From RGN to RMN
    Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 13:34
Hi guys,

Im new to the forum, I only hope someone can help me with my problem!!

I finished my nurse training recently and am awaiting my PIN number so that Ill be a registered general nurse. Thing is though, and Ive not long realised this, but the fields in which I want to work in and which most interest me all require registered mental health nurses and Im gutted.

I really didnt know that to work in forensic nursing including that of prison nursing, working with rehabilitated youths and with the police required you to be mentally health trained.

I suppose its my own fault for not researching this enough, but if Im honest, back then I didnt really know what area of nursing it was that I wanted to go into. Its only been in the final stages of my training that I've come to realise it.

My big query is, is it possible to somehow transfer my general adult skills into mental health or is it a question of re-training?! Id be so disappointed if I have walked into a dead end and my only option would be to re-train. Im hoping that there is someone reading this forum that may be able to help me or point me in the right direction.

Here's hoping....

Thank you all for reading,

Claire Confused

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Claire has won a spot prize Clap
Chosen as most thought provoking post this week
From JFN Admin

Edited by JFN Admin - 13 Sep 2008 at 18:01
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2008 at 15:21
Hi Claire,

The qualification you are referring to is either RN (Mental Health) or RNM which is why I edited the topic subject for you.

I'm not completely sure but as far as I am aware you have to apply for a standard course and then should be able to enter the course part way through with credits for your previous learning.

An example of this is on the University of Central Lancashire website under Accreditation for Prior Learning (APL)

For a list of possible Universities courses that may be available visit the UCAS website course search page and type Mental Health Nursing in the subject box and then click Search at the bottom of the form.

When I converted there were specific conversion courses but of course that was pre-Project 2000.

Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic