Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting into Nursing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winseywoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting into Nursing
    Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 15:59
Hi

This is my first post.

I would like to change career and train to become a nurse. I don't really know where to start!

I can only initially study in my free time as I need to continue my day job.

Does anyone have any advice on where to start??

Many thanks
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 21:50
Hi Winseywoo,

The nearest you can get to part time is family friendly courses like the 4 year Diploma at Bucks New University. This is a course which you have to attend 3-4 days a week with short classroom days and negotiated shifts in the purely practical 4th year. There is no central resource for finding out about these courses as UCAS only sees fit to list full-time courses?

I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing that would be useful to you. What type of work are you currently doing?

Nigel
MoJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 20:59

Have you thought about getting part-time work as a healthcare assistant to get some practical experience of working in a healthcare environment?

This can help you in a couple of ways. You can gain some insight into the career you are looking to follow, ie whether you will actually like it or not. Plus you can get some practical experience under your belt which often helps when trying to get into nursing. Finally you might find you could earn enough to swap jobs in the short term and give you more flexibility in terms of taking up the nursing course.

Good luck...
melscott55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melscott55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2009 at 14:29
have a look on pronurse. they have a whole section dedicated to this and it is full of useful articles and tips. there are also a lot of nurses in the same boat as you so you can swop stories.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic