Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Health visitor Training

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tristana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Health visitor Training
    Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 10:41
Hi everyone

I am hoping to apply to do the Health Visitor training at the Univ. Western England next year. My reg is current but I've been out of nursing for a few years in health-related office jobs. Do you think this will go against me?

Does have any advice to give on strengthening my application?

Thanks in advance!

Tris
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2013 at 00:37
Hi Tristana,

It is possible that your lack of recent experience could be seen as a negative. In order to counter this you could do a number of things. Identify what skills you have that may not necessarily come from nursing that may be useful as a Health Visitor i.e. time management, travel management, planning the caseload so that you carry the type of supplies that will cover the needs of the patients that you expect to see plus appropriate extra supplies to cover unexpected but predictable events. As a Health Visitor you need to be able to think outside the box and adapt research-based practice within the limitations of environment and resources that you will undoubtedly be presented with. Are there aspects of your office based work that can be brought to the role?

Let us know how you get on Smile

Nigel 
Tristana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tristana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 15:33
Thanks Nigel

Yes I think I have lots of skills I could offer. I am also considering school nursing as another possibility. What I'm finding hard at the moment is providing evidence of nursing children, although I have lots of experience volunteering with children.

Have a good weekend!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic