Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP with PREP (CPD) Standards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperate Nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP with PREP (CPD) Standards
    Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 16:10

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could shed a little light on the Nursing Prep (continuing professional development) Standard. I understand the hours of learning and practice I have to do in order to meet the Prep Standards.

I know the NMC state "there is no such thing as approved Prep (CPD) learning activity", and I've read the examples of Prep (CPD) learning in the Prep handbook, yet I still don't feel confident with what I can count as CPD. It seems so ambiguous?!

So far, my learning hours have incorporated:
- structured/formal learning (e.g Life support, IV training etc)
- reading/researching literature (e.g. books, articles).

I also do voluntary work (non-nursing related).. Can this count?

The ambiguity of the standard is a little concerning to me. I worry if I'm picked for auditing and then the NMC don't agree on some of the activities I have included?!?! Other professional bodies provide non-exhaustive, listed examples of CPD activities...makes it so much clearer.

Can anyone provide any other CPD learning examples, so I have a better understanding of this Standard for future learning?

Thanks for any guidance

JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 07:11
Hi Desperate Nurse,

The whole issue of CPD is currently under review as far as I am aware because of the vagueness that you have highlighted. However whilst it is still in place, in the format it is, the way to deal with what can be identified as PREP activity is whether you can show how it has helped you develop or consolidate your skills or expereince.

Taking your voluntary work as an example. Can you identify any aspects of this that could count  in the development of your role as a nurse. Did it have some form of management element? Has there been individual or multiple events that you could use for reflectively review as having a parallel with skills you need in your role as a nurse?

Perhaps if you identified what the voluntary work entailed it would be easier to help you identify how it could be seen as appropriate.

Nigel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic