Get 25% off the Oxford Handbook for Nursing Series - Go to the OUP website now!
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > General Nursing Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Helping cope with stress & sleeplessness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Barclay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Helping cope with stress & sleeplessness
    Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 17:54
Helping cope with stress & sleeplessness - a new service

Hello, I am posting this because we (
a team of expert service designers and technologists) need your help. We've heard that many nurses and carers are being sleep deprived because stress levels are very high. This is having an impact on mental and physical health. 

To help we are running a project to rapidly develop a pre-existing service that helps nurses and other carers cope with stress and sleep better too. The reason we're starting with sleep is because it's a foundational part of helping all of us humans -  nurses and carers included! - restore ourselves properly. Sleep helps build resilience, recharge and perform at work. 

To help us we also have sleep scientist and therapy expert Dr Katharina Lederle in place. Dr Kat as she's known has a background in chronobiology and working with shift-workers in blue light and high risk organisations. We also have some members of the NHS onboard - a couple of surgeons.

What would be massively helpful to get from you though are answers to these questions
  • Which nurses/ other care workers are under the most stress?*
  • Why is this (i.e. what's causing the stress they are feeling?)
  • Are you or your colleagues experiencing sleep disruption/ issues sleeping?
  • What is currently on offer to help nurses mitigate stress and/ or sleep better?
  • What does or doesn't work in respect of what's already being offered?
  • Focusing on the experience of stress (i.e. not the causes of it) what single change would be most valuable to nurses to alleviate it?
Once we get some inputs from you we will then add to the stress management and sleep service we have already prototyped. We hope to involve as many of you and your colleagues in trying out and testing the service as we can. We envisage doing this in the next 4-6 weeks, so do let me know if you're interested in staying close to this.

Also for background, Fuzzy is a not-for-profit organisation set up to create problem-solving services in the health and wellbeing space very, very fast. It has run projects with the RCN, Essex Coalition for Disabled People, Cancer Research UK, Mind, Body and Soul, Maggies and a host of large and small businesses too. 

See here for more: https://fuzzy.org/work/ including work done with the RCN. 
Or to ask more questions contact me alex@fuzzy.org

Big thanks and hope you're keeping well in these very difficult times.

Alex Barclay

founder, Fuzzy.org

*Stress is being defined as 
'a physical, mental, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension.'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic