Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interview for Nursing!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote celiab12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview for Nursing!
    Posted: 04 May 2008 at 13:22
Hello All,

I have just had a letter through the door advising me that I have an interview at Coventy University on 20th May for the nursing degree!!!

It has said that there will be a discussion by the tutor then a written essay, followed by a group interview / discussion.....

Can anyone out there please tell me what are the 'usual' questions ( if there are any) that universities normally ask ( I understand all uni's work differently)  for us to write about?????? ( I understand this is used to see the legibilty of your english / writing)and also I am getting myself worried about the discussion/ interview....does anyone know what kind of topics are given for us to give out input on??????

Any tips/ advice would be very very much appreciated!!!

Many thanks...Celiab12
Coffin Dodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2008 at 05:42
There are no standard interview questions as such, only a range of possible questions to determine how you communicate (in its broadest sense), whether you have a realistic view of nursing and the course, and whether you have the personal qualities required. The following list will give you some idea, and thinking through these issues should help you to prepare for, and be more confident about answering, questions that aren't on this list.

Why do you want to be a nurse/adult nurse?
What do nurses do?
Why have you applied to this university?
What do you see the nurse's role to be?
How do you manage stress?
How do you think the course will fit in around your current life commitments?
In what ways will your life change when you start the course?
What personal qualities will you need in order to cope with the academic/clinical demands of the course?
What do nurses find rewarding/challenging?
What experience do you have of caring for others?
Is there anything you think you will find hard to cope with as a student nurse and how do you anticipate you will deal with it?
How do you think the course will challenge you?
Why do nurses need academic knowledge?
How is nursing or the NHS portrayed by the media?

Be yourself, be articulate, and give the impression that nursing is something you really want to do. Some interviewees give the impression that they are indifferent whether they are offered a place or not. That could be due to nerves, but it gives a really bad impression. You are not expected to appear desperate, but you need to give the impression that a career in nursing  is really important to you! Good luck on the day.
garsideamy12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 07:30
The questions you ask in an interview also say a lot about you as a candidate. Therefore, your questions should focus on professional development, long-term goals for the role, and company initiatives. This is not the time to pick apart the work schedule, compensation plan, or vacation allowance. Ask questions that show the interviewer that you've researched the company. For example: "I saw on your website that (insert factoid here)...How do you think that will impact long-term growth?"

Okay, you're ready to go get that job offer! Print a few extra copies of your CV, (or resume') grab your notebook, portfolio, and go!

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2013 at 08:24
1. Tell me about yourself. 
2. What led to your interest in nursing? 
3. Describe a challenging problem you faced on one of your clinical rotations. How did you solve the 
problem?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 08:08
Prepare for questions by anticipating what might be asked. Since there are always job specific questions research the job duties to be prepared. There are many standard questions which includes what are your strengths and weaknesses? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What will you bring to this job that other candidates won't? 
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garsideamy12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2013 at 10:12
Don't say anything negative about a former job or a former employer. The worst thing you can say is, "I didn't get along with my boss at my previous job." The interviewer will only hear the "I didn't get along with" part! Answer all interview questions with a positive spin. If asked your experience in a certain task, don't say "Never done it. Don't know how." Instead say, "Although I haven't done it before, I have researched and understand the fundamentals. Since I am a quick learner I do not anticipate any problems performing the task. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic