Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it possible to be a single parent nurse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spikeypikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it possible to be a single parent nurse?
    Posted: 07 Jun 2008 at 15:03
Hiya,

For years I've thought about nursing but I have a son and am a lone parent.  Does nursing allow you to work flexible hours or do you just have to take what you're given?  I would have no way for example of doing a night shift as no one to care for my son.

Any experiences or knowledge very gratefully received.

Thanks

Kate
carib68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carib68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2008 at 12:57
Hiya Kate,
I know single parent nurses. You have not said how old your son is, so the first thing will be if you are able to get through your training. That is if you aren't trained already. Or whether you want to be a healthcare assistant or auxillary nurse. Nursing allows you to wok flexible hours but it must suit the area that you apply to. If many other nurses are doing "term time" hours than it is less likely that you will get those hours too, but it is a question you can ask at interview or on an informal visit to the place you are thinking of applying to. If you do not ask you won't know. The NHS has been singing abot flexible working and family friendly hours for some ytears. Have a try!
melscott55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melscott55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:30
of course it is, many of the student nurses today are single mums and they do great on the course. have a look on pronurse, they have lots of articles on this plus there are lots of members like yourself who can give you tips and advice
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic