Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

leaving nursiing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2009 at 16:52
im also thinking of leaving nursing  after only 2 years  feel that  am always doing something   wrong  and always feeling stressed about the whole role of a staff nurse the other day i didnt mix enough of contrast my manager found  out and had me in the office and  spoke to me saying now i have to be supervised on drugs round  i know she only doing her job.i feel its about time to call it a day and do something different  the problem i dont know what all i know i cant stay where i am  saami 
sammi
JFN Admin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFN Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2009 at 23:19
Hi Sammi,

It's never great to feel so stressed by work. Have you been able to talk about your situation with anyone who can offer objective advice? Have you considered moving into a different area of nursing?

Hug
Nigel
Nursing Australia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nursing Australia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 08:01

Hi Sammi

I think in every nurse’s career, there a moment when you feel like leaving, particularly when the situation gets tough and stressful.  It crossed my mind a lot in the early days of my career and when I raised it with my nursing friends I was surprised to learn they had thought of it too, particularly when things were not going right at work. Any way my friends and I survived, and we've been nursing nearly 20 yrs now. It does get easier with experience and you are still just at the beginning of your career. Don’t feel alone about your situation, it's not uncommon that medication errors occur, we are only human, it happens to the best of us and to more nurses than you think, the supervision will soon pass and be forgotten.

Remember your experiences today are your stories of tomorrow. Hang in there!

Emma
happier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 16:25
Hi Lisaforde,
I  guess you can see from people's comments that a lot of people feel similar to you. Some better, some worse.
Whilst one or two people have mentioned the satisfaction they feel when a patient recovers and goes home, it sounds as though most people feel exhausted, stressed and undervalued.
We all know that the work we do is invaluable, because even with excellent surgery, patients can and do die without the essential skill, care and dedication of nurses.
The problem is our employers/government don't want to acknowledge how vital we are and treat us accordingly in terms of pay and conditions.
Instead, they keep piling on ever new tasks, procedures, paper work and priorities on to our workload and then seem surprised when we buckle under the pressure and stress of it all. 
Nurses are really unsung heroes and heroines because few people could or would do what we do.

I think that only you know what is best for you, but you shouldn't stay in the work if you can't stand it any more, because it will show and negatively impact on patients, yourself and loved ones.

If you leave, you haven't wasted all the time you've spent as a nurse. You have skills, experience and knowledge that will be helpful to you and others providing you value what you've got.
There's probably lots you could do with the skills and knowledge you've built up - you probably just need to look at things in different ways.

Don't be fearful of the future, because when you close one door another becomes open - you just need to have your eyes open to see it.  
happier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 16:39
Hi Sammi,
You sound really low and probably felt awful at the time, but I've just figured out that you sent that message last year April ( cos I catch on quick ) so things may be way different for you now.
Did you stay and if so how are things now?
If you left, how's that going? 
paige.gersten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paige.gersten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 07:35
Why did you decide to leave? A nurse is a profession you should be proud of.
A fashionista behind a nursing uniform
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic