Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Student Nursing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TATTOOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donutplum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TATTOOS
    Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 18:19

Hello,

I want to become a child nurse due to change of career, however when i was younger i got two large tattoos both my forearms, one is of a sleeping cherub and the other is of a unicorn.

Are nusres allowed to wear long sleeves to cover them up, the tattoos do not reach my wrists, however i am worried now as i read that long sleeves can not be work.

Please help!!
Janee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 23:50
Two thoughts about your tattoos. From what you have said they are not new so do not present an infection risk. The images of a cherub and a unicorn are not likely to offend anyone. I can't see any reason why these would prevent you from becoming a nurse, paediatric or otherwise. Tattoos, for better or worse, are becoming an inherent part of our culture and seen as fairly mainstream.

Have you contacted the HR department of one of the nursing universities to see if there are any issues with you having them?

Let us know what they say...

Jaynee

Edited by Janee - 23 Feb 2010 at 23:51
Coffin Dodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coffin Dodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 12:49
Normally you have to wear a short sleeve tunic on clinical placements to comply with the NHS bare-below-the-elbows policy and dress code. The nursing admissions department at your local uni will advise you on whether the dress code permits visible tattoos.
cherry-ink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherry-ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 12:51
Im currently on an Access to the Health Profession course and as part of the course criteria, I am required to carry out research on a topic of my choice.

I have many tattoos which are clearly visible and can be difficult to cover up. I would like to hear the opinions and feelings of people of any age who have visible tattoos and if they have an effect on everyday life and are aware of any discrimination they may have faced.
I have been accepted onto a mental health nursing degree and wanted to know from other nurses any negativity if any they have encountered with regards to their tattoos.

It will only take a minute to complete so if you could maybe copy and paste questions onto a new message and include your answers I would be really grateful!

The impotatnt stuff........

Your identity and answers given will remain anonymous and you have the right to withdraw at anytime and for any reason by contacting me by email at nataliesimpson1@virginmedia.com

By filling in this questionnaire you are giving consent for the information provided to be used and the results documented. Identities will be kept confidential, and any names (if provided) will be changed to protect the identity of the respondent.

A copy of the research findings can be obtained by request by email at the above address. =)

Finally here are the all important questions

1) Do you have any visable (difficult to cover up) tattoos?

2) Do you feel you are or have been treated differently because of your tattoos?

3) Before you had your tattoos did you think about how you may be viewed by others?

4) Did this influence the type of tattoo you had?

5) Have people in your workplace ever commented on youor tattoos, and if so were these negative or positive comments?

6) Do you feel your tattoos have influenced the type of employment you have engaged in?

7) What is your occupation? (This question is optional and you donot have to answer)

8)do you plan to have more tattoos?

9) Do your friends comment or have any opinions about your tattoos?

10) have you ever experienced comments from people unknown to you on your tattoos, and were these positive or negative comments? (please state)

11)Do you think that the minimum age of 18 tears is acceptable with regards to having a tattoo? (Please state

Any other comments or experience you have had with regards to your tattoos......

Thank-You so much for completing this questionnaire!

As i said earlier if you would like a copy of the report then let me know =)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic