Inspired Options are actively seeking UK Nurses with existing Australian Nursing Board registration
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Career Advice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unsure...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_Tee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unsure...
    Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 01:44
Hey everyone, Thought I would start by introducing myself. Im 20 and Im from Northern Ireland. I currently work in Customer Service, However, Im looking for a possible career change and go into nursing.

I have a few main worries, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok -  I will start where I first got the idea. In January I was rushed to hospital with Kidney Stones. I was in pure agony, unable to stand up, being constantly sick, was very bad. The Nurses at the Hospital really made me feel at home, they gave me pain killers and all the staff were they at my beakon call. I couldnt have asked for better service.

I was lying in the bed, looking around and I thought "I would love to do something like this". I would love to give that amount of service to someone else in need.

Anyway, so right now Im in Customer Service, A Job I dont mind...but at the same time doesnt feed my passion. To be honest, I see it as a "bill payer" sort of thing. Since January, I have been thinking on and off about becoming a Nurse, but while I can think of 100 positives, I can think of 100 negatives as well.

For a start, I left school with Ok GCSE's, I passed them all, and got grades ranging from B's, C's and D's. Not the greatest, but in my line of work It has suited me. I looked up information about nursing, and found out more about the course at Uni, and the Qualifications needed. It is high compared to what I have now, which means ALOT of work.

I rang my local college, and they said that they do a Course which is an "Access" course, which lasts 2 years, and providing I get a good % should get me into a Uni to do study nursing. The course Itself is VERY expensive - £500 a year, and thats without buying books, paying for exams etc. The course is like a mini version of A Levels in which you study - Biology, Maths, English, Chemistry and Physics. I know this sounds daft, but In a way I wonder am I smart enough to get the grades, and Im I smart enough to survive Uni? I know they say If you put your mind to something you can achieve anything you want, but in a way I know It will prove tough for me.

Another thing which Im not too sure about is the financial cost of it all. I am currently working full time and barely make ends meet now. What would It be like if I DID go to Uni. I couldnt live off a Student Loan. So Is there any other options available for someone like me?

I know I want to become someone in life. I want to do something worth while, help people, and I do truly believe that I would get satisfication out of Nursing. I believe I would get 100% and always strive to do the best for the patient.

In a way I am scared to take the leap. I know that I am only 20, but I think It is alot of training and alot of hard work. Another thing questionable is the Credit Crunch. I know people who are Nurses and they have told me that the NHS is cutting back. Do you think in 5 years time there will still be a high demand for nursing? Will there still be jobs if or when I qualify?

I am seriously thinking about moving into Careworking and seeing If I enjoy that. It will give me a taster of what Its like, dealing with Patients, Manual Handling, Toilet duties etc. I know places that once you are a Careworker for 6 months actually recruit you as a Nursing Auxilary, meaning I could be sent into Hospitals and that as well would give me a real taste. Obviously, I would also work up my own Qualifications eg NVQ's etc. I am also wanting to know would that be a good platform also when applying for Uni? When they know I have done a tiny bit of it, and maybe built up a bit of knowledge in the field.

This is very big step for me, and I want to think of it properly before I make any rash decisions. I think It is the initial step into it which will prove the hardest. As I mentioned, It is alot of hard work. I wouldnt say Im stupid, far from it...but I wouldnt be the brightest spark in the room if you get my drift.

Obviously, I have a few months to go before I could potentially start at college, but I am just looking for feedback. 99% of people I have asked have all said the same thing "It is hard work, but worth it in the end" and they couldnt see themselves doing anything else.

Is there anyone out there in the same boat as me? Has anyone else had the same questions? Any help would be appreciated.

I believe everything happens for a reason, and that what is for you wont pass you - So I know if I am meant to study and become a Nurse I will. It's just waiting for that sign. LOL.

Thanks. Smile
MoJo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoJo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 20:38

Hi Mr_Tee

Welcome to the JFN Nursing Forums. I'm glad you had such positive care for what was probably an incredibly painful experience. It's very easy to get a rose tinted perspective when you have to put ourselves in the hands of caring professionals but be aware that not everyone in nursing loves nursing. A recent poll here on JFN suggested that nearly 20% from over 1,000 respondents wished they had never started!

You seem to be approaching it with the right attitude though. Weighing up the advantages and disadvantages in terms of financial and academic commitment. I think if you really want to go for it then dipping your toe in with care work to start with seems like a great idea.

I would even go so far as to suggest trying it out one day a week at the weekends so that you don't burn any bridges in these economically uncertain times.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic