Nursing Agencies List - The No.1 Online Directory for Nursing Agencies
Forum Home [JFN Home] Forum Home > Open Nursing Forums > Male Nursing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where Do You Work?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zimfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Do You Work?
    Posted: 08 Dec 2007 at 21:09
Please tell me where you work, and what your responsibilites you have.  Also tell me what the females in the workplace where you are think of male nurses.......  Are you just another one of the girls????????
The Truth Is Out There!!   Trust NO ONE!!!
                  ---X Files
ibuchan1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ibuchan1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2007 at 17:57
Hi, I'm Ian, I work in Nottingham in the UK as a Children's Renal Nurse.  I work in a team with several Male nurses and we are all fairly well integrated into the team.  However as men we do bring some different approaches to team work and I would not want to be "one of the girls".  However nor do I want to be "one of the guys", we all bring a different approach to patient care and we all need to be ourselves. 
JohnMac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2008 at 23:54
I trained in Scotland in the early 70s. My main speciality is Mental Health and for a time, being one of the guys and accepted was a big part of the job. I retrained as a Registered General Nurse and  worked for some time in A&E or ITU and found the profession generally less concerned with gender than with competence. My Obstetrics module was an eyeopener in that younger staff were generally more hostile towards MEN in their domain than the majority of olderstaff. The patients almost all had no problem and some enjoyed winding up some of the more anti younger staff.
My career since many years has been in Mental Health but over time the service is much more integrated and egalitarian. As both Staff nurse and Charge Nurse, at no time have I encountered gender problems and have enjoyed mixed, mens' and girls' nights out with colleagues; with or without my wife who is also a nurse.
Now I am in IT Liaison and administration; competence and understanding of the processes of care is my main attribute whoever I am. Geek
RMN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2008 at 13:29
Hi, I work in Portsmouth in what is left of Saint James Psychiatric Hospital.
When I first came to work here in 1980 we had something like 23 wards with about 400 patients plus outpatients.
Now we have 7 wards
Less wards also mean less staff. This also means less staff to deal with aggresion and Disturbances. So Male Staff, of which I am in the minority, are seen as a valuable resource.
nutty nurse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nutty nurse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2008 at 19:39
I qualified 3 1/2 years ago and currently work as a community staff nurse. I am accepted by all as a valuable member of the team and no special treatment is given to me. Everyone in the team brings their own qualities to the role making the team whole.
Dennis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2009 at 17:15
I work in an A&E in the states. I have for 17 years. There are now about half males here in the department.
Dont know if I was one of the girls or not, but I had no problems, maybe cause Im 6 foot 2, and wrestled ifor Utah State  and in the Navy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic